Haugesund International School provides an International Baccalaureate (IB) accredited, engaging and challenging English and Norwegian education in a supportive, multi-cultural environment. HIS is dedicated to developing inquiring, knowledgeable, confident, and caring young people. H.I.S offers both the PYP (Primary Years Program) and the MYP (Middle Years Program).
We have a flexible, rolling admissions policy and welcome applications for students from ages 6-16, year-round.
List of priorities if the number of applications is higher than the school’s capacity:
(If applicants are equal in terms of any of the criteria below, the date of application will be the determining factor.)
- International students and students who do not have Norwegian as their mother tongue.
- Siblings of students already registered in the school.
- Children of permanently employed HIS staff.
- Students returning to Norway after having attended school abroad.
- Other candidates will be accepted as they apply, as long as there is availability in the school.
The total enrolment of students in Haugesund International School is governed by the Directorate of Education ‘s overall approval of 190 students. The school aims to have maximum 20 students per class. When coming close to full capacity, a prioritized waiting will be established.
The Decision regarding Admission is an Individual Decision (enkeltvedtak) in accordance with the Public Administrative Act §2. If parents/guardians disagree with the school’s decision, they may, according to the Public Administrative Act §28 and §29, appeal the matter to the Regional Governor/Fylkesmannen in Rogaland within three weeks. The appeal must be sent via Haugesund International School to the Regional Governor.
For further information, please see the Circular from the Education Directorate 5-2010 “About admission of students to private school entitled to state subsidies – Private School Act §3-1”.
Preferred dates for applicants:
· Reenrollment: For students looking to reenroll for the following academic year, HIS asks that forms are submitted to the admissions office by March 15th of the current year.
· 1st time applicants: For new students applying for the following academic year, HIS would prefer students to submit the application form to admissions by May 1st of the current year.
While HIS has preferred dates, we understand the need for flexibility and have a rolling admissions process that will accept students and applications throughout the calendar year, based on classroom enrollment availability.